I think that is the only way to describe this dessert. It is sweet and good.
I brought a whole pan of these lovelies to work today in honor of my final 2 days of work. FYI I don’t really work here in the traditional sense, as in they don’t pay me. It’s an internship. But somehow I still feel compelled to bring treats. Delicious treats.
Sweet goodness bars are really quite simple and they contain very basic ingredients. In honor of the end of my internship (thank God). I will share this recipe with you as I eat it.
What you need:
- a pan (9×13 for thicker bars or a cookie sheet [with an edge])
- and oven (heating to 350*F)
- a bowl
- some sort of mixing device (kitchen aid, hand mixer, spoon)
- spray oil
- 2 cups of flour
- 2 cups of quick oats (do not get the slow ones)
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 1/4 cups butter (unsalted, not straight out of the fridge, but not too soft)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- chocolate chips
- caramel ice cream topping
- another 3 tablespoons or so of flour.
What you do:
- put all the ingredients except the last three in a bowl.
- mix ingredients together (I think the mixer is essential for this, but you could probably do it by hand too)
- when mixture is evenly mixed it should look crumbly and taste delicious
- sample mixture (don’t worry, no raw eggs!)
- grease your pan
- take about half the mixture and press it into the bottom of the pan It doesn’t have to be thick, it’ll rise a little as it bakes, but it should cover the bottom of the pan completely.
- bake at 350* F for 10 mins or until it’s golden brown (it’ll bake some more so don’t worry if it seems a little raw.)
- While this is baking taking the caramel topping and mix in some flour until it’s thickened. I depends on the size of jar you have but you can use as much or as little caramel as you want.
- When it comes out of the oven spread caramel over the whole thing (try to avoid pan sides because it bakes on) and then top with chocolate chips (I don’t skimp here I make sure it’s covered with chocolate chips)
- Take the second half of the mixture and crumble it all over the top
- Bake again until top starts to turn brown
- Wait as long as you can (but not too long, these are best warm and gooey) and EAT!
Side note, my husband had this recipe for Chicken Spedini (sp?). Anyway I dare anyone to make it following just this recipes, there are only 7 steps, no ingredients listed and the 7th step is delicious. That’s right step 7 = delicious.