Giving up and moving on. The tie clutch didn’t end up being as simple as it looked. Or I did it wrong. Here’s what it should look like.
I started by using the big end of the ties. I’m into big, so I thought this would be an improvement on the skinny side of the tie. Not so.
There was no way this was going to work because the flap (the tie ends) would have totally swallowed up the clutch part.
So tonight I decided to try the smaller side.
So if you’d like to make yourself a mediocre tie clutch, here’s what I did.
- I sewed all of the ties together with a straight stitch. I tried zigzag on the fat end of the ties, but it looked a little to busy in my opinion.
- I folded over the cut edge of the ties and ironed that down.
- Then I folded up to where I wanted the flap to start. So the unfinished end is folded over for the hem and then that end it brought up to the top.
- I sewed across the folded over unfinished edge where the flap would be. This way you don’t have to line the clutch. Which is actually probably a better idea.
- Next I put the outsides of the clutch together and sewed down each side. You’re sewing through 4 layers of tie here so you’re starting to see why maybe lining it would have been better.
- Turn it out so that the outside are back where they should be.
- Then I added a button that reminded me of an old man suit. Also I love using the button holer thing on my sewing machine.
I’m not judging but it’s kind of a fat clutch. Unnecessarily bulky. I’m just not that happy with it. Make this scarf instead, way more gratifying.